--> REGISTER HERE <-- To sign up for this hook-writing webinar, register here. This webinar is presented by SongwriterLink in partnership with Songwriting magazine. Want to learn the secrets of writing a catchy, memorable hook in just 90 minutes that you can use in your songwriting for the rest of your life? No element…continue reading →
Every songwriter has their unique way when they write a song. Some songwriters like to write some lyrics and let someone else write the music. Some write in a DAW and go for the most innovative sound. And some just play around on their guitar until they find something that…continue reading →
“How can I reach more people?” is a question I hear songwriters ask all the time. “How can I get my music out there?” Who wouldn’t love to build a fan base that loves you, supports you and pays for your gambling addiction. …Right? The problem with the How-Can-I-Reach-More-People question…continue reading →
Why Avoid Notes may be f-ing up your melodies right under your radar. How to spot them, get rid of them and when it’s ok to write one.…continue reading →
Does this sound familiar? "I am really struggling with writing contemporary lyrics. I am more of a storytelling guy when I write, but maybe it's just a habit. Maybe you can share some practices, exercises and techniques to get out of the songwriting rut and start building songs lyrics in…continue reading →
I have a really, really cool trick to share with you today, and I thought I’d explain it by telling you about my Top 5 (or is it a Top 10? SPOILERS) Chord Progressions I use on a daily basis. I’m super excited to share this one with you. Creating an interesting chord progression out of nothing is always a fun experience.…continue reading →
1. Ukraine Wins With Jamala's “1944” (+ Israel) Honestly, I couldn’t be happier about this one. It shows that there is room for something special at the ESC. The song has an interesting production going for it and some rather heavy lyrics. What I’m most happy about is how it…continue reading →
So let's talk gossip. Who's gonna win this year and who's gonna bite the dust? In this short & sweet article, you're gonna find all my best guesses for this year, and it's all updated as we go through the various stages of the ESC. I based my picks on…continue reading →
There's a lot of talent present at this year's ESC. I've taken the time to listen to all of the tracks to help you decide on which ones you might want to listen to. There's a lot of great songwriting to be found in a lot of these songs and with each mini-review, I want to give you a little insight into why I think this song is great or why it's not. …continue reading →
Probably the most undervalued factor in becoming a professional songwriter is speed. Being able to write a song in a day or two dramatically increases your output and therefore possibilities.
- The more songs you write, the more artists you can write for.
- The more songs you write, the more you can upload for your fans.
- The more songs you write, the more you can sell (hey, we all gotta make a living, right?)
- It simply feels great to be able to write a song quickly.
- There's no overthinking things, you have to rely on your intuition, meaning your songs don't mutate
- You are always the first to be heard in pitches if you can send in your songs first.